RSS Feed

  • Twitter
  • Digg
  • Stumble

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Wildgoose Chase

Sent for a wildgoose chase. Not as fun as you might have initially thought it might have been...

I'm performing for violin on Saturday's MPK, or Co-curriculum Day. Today, we were supposed to be having rehearsals for the MPK. They told everyone involved to come. Those performers like me and several other people, were also expected to be there. We were supposed to be in school around 10 AM. However, knowing that things tend to start late[r] in Malaysia, I reached school roughly at 10.30AM. That's not really bad, you know. What's worse is that those morning session people who were involved were NOT READY YET. And they make us poor afternoon kids crawl out of bed so early to turn up in school. Performers like those in the choir, choral speaking, Minimitez and us violinists had to be there so early too. There were only 2 violinist, unlike 3....which I initially thought there were. Looks like we would be competing for the performance. For some reason, Mr K, the co-curriculum teacher only wanted one violinist to perform. STRANGE BUT TRUE. The Form 1 girl I met ( Leong Ern-Ee ) around the beginning of the year was performing violin too. We sat next to each other and waited until the end of time for something that would never occur. But you know what was the worse thing????? The "organisers" absent-mindedly told us violinists to bring our violins along.Well, if that wasn't bad enough, I admit I suffered another blow when the choir couldn't rehearse any performance too. The teachers spend nearly 3 quarters of the rehearsal ARRANGING STUDENTS' SEATS. How crazy can that be???

When things started to go really boring, Sher Wu kept complaining about the piano part like a kid, which, amusingly, was a little entertaining. He was sitting next to me and eager to mess around with my violin case. Then, he complained about no one teaching him the piano part and I took it as a hint that he wanted to pratice the piano while the teachers arranged the seats. Well, fine. Since I'm the pianist, I'll just accompany him to the piano and correct whatever stuff I can. When we settled down at the piano, I said I could play "I'm Not Alone Anymore", the Choral Fest theme song, he told me to play it. After the ever-familiar intro, the whole choir herded themselves around the piano. Quick. VERY quick.

It took quite a while for the teachers to figure out we had gathered around the piano. When they finally did, they questioned us about our practice. I'm not sure what those students at the back told the teachers but they sure made the teachers give way for our practice.

When all arrangements were done, the teachers then made an announcement to get the students back to their seats. Including the choir....And the tone they used at us indicated that they weren't very happy with us. Maybe it was our singing.....??? We might never know...

When I got back to my seat, I was told to practice outside the hall while waiting for all the certificates to be given out. After that, they'll get back to the performances.

Like it ever happened!!!!!

We practiced and practiced while the fake certificates were being given out. Minimitez practiced along with us. It was really hopeless. I never expected it to be this bad......the timing was SO OUT (please note that I'm not talking about Minimitez here, but the "great" school timing). Well, the only positive thing about practicing outside for nothing was that people noticed you. Haha. I actually got 10 cents from a Form 3 guy who said my playing was good just as he was lining up to take some prize. Now THAT's a real joke. It was like I'm doing a roadside show.

When it all ended, we violinists were told to come the next day to "perform" again. Correction: We weren't told about it at all. We just figured it out ourselves when the hall emptied. Ern-Ee's mother kind of complained to Pn. Sharon (the morning session teacher) about the unfairness for us poor kids who have to carry their violins everywhere and never got a chance to eat lunch yet. She was also told to come tomorrow, in a much more polite way.

In my desperation, I looked for a phone card from the first person I saw. In this case, it was Ben Yew. Boy, was he surprised that we didn't complete the performance. Yes, it's stupid but it's not my fault. I quickly called my mother to get my violin from school. This caused me to wait impatiently by the school gate to pass it to her. She finally came. Not bad....it wasn't too late either. Now I can get back to the normal schoolday I have on Wednesdays.

BUT NoooOOOoooOOOoooOOOoooOOOoooOOOooo

When I got into the Pipe Workshop (one of those dusty KH workshops), Sabreena proudly told me to go and see mad Ms Madiana. WOW!!!!!!!!!!! I'm SOOOOO RIGHT!!!!! She IS mad!!!!!!!! Told me to get my violin back because NOW Mr K wants to see us play. Why am I not surprised????? We are Malaysians after all. Malaysia Boleh. Who hasn't heard of that?? Even people from the other end of the Earth has heard of Malaysia's quote.

I've just used up 10 cents of Ben Yew's credit for no reason and now, they want the violin back in school. These people really lost their rational.

After playing for Mr K, he finally decides to let both play. After all, we negotiated for something we both could share. He wanted the "Keranamu Malaysia" song because it was patriotic and after all, it WAS close to Independence Day. So, we decided to put that as the duet. we all settled for 3 songs. One duet, 2 solos. I offered to arrange the harmony to make it more interesting and more duet-like. He agreed and gave us time to arrange it there, in the hall, using the piano as chord reference. He gave us a letter to issue our absence from class so as to inform the teachers in class that we weren't playing truant. After arranging the piece for a while, we figured one hour (from 2.30 to 3.30) wasn't enough to get everything together and practice. So, we went in search of Mr K. We couldn't find him, so we looked for Pn Cheng. She wrote a letter again to state that we would be praticing up to 5.30pm. Wow. That's very happy news. =D

Pn Cheng then said something about my New South Wales Science paper results. She said she would pass it to me "later".

After another painstaking hour (Not really painstaking, really. Just exaggerating to stress my point), we completed arranging the song. Then, we ate and practice during the remaining time. We also helped each other out a bit in our solo pieces. Once done, we went back to class.

In class, Ishwin said my Science results paper was in my bag. Took it out and scanned through all my stupid mistakes. Then, I looked at the certificate.

*CENSORED* PASSED WITH A DISTINCTION.

YAY. And I thought it was hard to pass with a distinction since Aaron kept bragging about his distinction last year. I don't know what it was like last year since I didn't sit for it......I'll aim for High Distinction next year since now I know what it's like.

Experience.
Not really great when you're on a wildgoose chase.

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Down Back to Top