RSS Feed

  • Twitter
  • Digg
  • Stumble

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Mighty Or Mini?

I actually went to Mighty Minds eventhough I wasn't feeling well, mostly for the part that I was the captain of the team. You can actually stop reading right here, right now, because we did not make it to the hands-on task, although we could have, if not for certain reasons.

Well, let's get things straight first. We actually got 16/20 questions right for the Blue Team questions, which would allow us to automatically qualify for the next round, but due to reasons unknown, our points were recorded as 14/20 only (we were VERY sure we pressed the correct answers, as every team member checked the keypad device). One of BU4's team also had an error in their marks, which, like ours, should be 16/20 but was recorded as 15/20.

Secondly, if our school's name was SMK SRI Damansara Jaya, we would be in the Red Team, as the teams were determined by alphabetical order. If we were in the Red Team, we would have got 20/20 (we know this because we were doing their questions as well). Now, if we had 20/20, not only will we be one of the few teams to be able to obtain a perfect score in the entire nation (the record was broken here in Selangor by some other lucky Red people), but we would also have advanced to the hands-on task. If we just made qualified for that, we could've come up with something very solid, since we had a clear idea on what to do to "build a ceiling fan powered by air movement".

BU4's 2 teams were complaining with our team. Eventhough I really wanted to participate in our "united" debate against Mr Siva, I could not do so, no thanks to a worsening headache and a rising temperature. Shu Wen and Adrian Loke (a form 2 from BU4(B)) did most of the talking. Man, I wished I could've said something more, but my fever was getting worse and dizziness started to settle in. BU4 agreed with us that the questions for both teams should be the same, as it was not a very good factor to determine which team was "smarter", especially since the questions were different. I mean, even the BU4 people agreed that the Red team's questions were so much easier. Aaron's team also tried out their quesitons and came out with 20/20 as well.

Melissa and Shu Wen were really disappointed with the results, as they felt we could have done much better if we were in the second round. According to many of the Blue Team's observation, the Red Team wasn't even as competitive as our round. Most of their results were so far apart eventhough their questions were so much easier. Unfortunately, my fuzzy brain just couldn't care anymore. After all, what's done is done. We're alway so near, yet so far. It has just come to a point where I'm starting to accept "the truth". From choir, to Robotics, to cheerleading, etc., we achieved everything except the top spot.

Moving back, before the Red team started their round, I was trying to avoid the 2 Seafielders I knew from Scrabble. Unfortunately, Vinnith and Scott spotted me as I was trying to hide behind my Sausage McMuffin. Oh dear. Han Wey was there too, and I finally learnt that he's a Form 3. I always thought he was a year my senior. We saw Emily Neoh as well, Aaron, Ryan and the 2 BU3 people from the previous month's competition. Apparently, Michelle Peh and her other teammate (I don't know his name) didn't win the Selangor level. This time, both of them weren't in the same team as each other and I nearly mistook one of Michelle's teammates as Ke Ming, until I remembered that Ke Ming is a Form 4.

When the teams were doing the hands-on task, I was trying desperately to "recover" from my state of health in Harvey Norman. I initially wanted to watch the groups outside, but after Melissa and Shu Wen said that the teams were "crapping", I just lost interest. Pn Cheah said that these people were going to set the benchmark for the competition in Selangor, and as implied by her and my teammates, the benchmark wasn't very high. Damansara Utama, the team I was going for, collapsed at the very end, literally. Their project just died on the spot when the bottom half of their fan dropped off. I suspect that the tall dude in their team is Qi Lin or Qilin (or something like that), because Alexandria told me something of him being extremely smart when she showed me her school magazine. Apart from their's and Jacie's team (Shu Wen's church friend), the masterpieces of other schools appeared as "rather interesting", in the sense that "being-weird-catches-attention" sort of way.

And the best part is this : when the top five were announced, there were THREE Blue teams that made it up there. And of the 3 teams, the last two to qualify for this hands-on task made it. Now, what does that prove?

I went home slightly earlier than the rest of my gang, who stayed back to hear the results. Most of the participants already went back, so the emcee was like talking to an empty hall in Sunway. If it weren't for busybody onlookers, he'd be like talking to the wall.

I went to see my doctor immediately and found out that my fever nearly touched 39 degrees Celsius! This obviously explains why my doctor was paranoid and told me not to cough in the clinic, in case I've got the international H1N1 flu. I'm probably going to be quarantined until Wednesday, if I don't get better. If teachers ask, you know what to say.

Last but not least, to all the Blue teams out there to get to the next round, I salute you! You're really deserving to get to the next round and you could've shown more might if you were in the Red team. As for the Red teams....eh....you're lucky you're in Selangor and got the easier of the 2 teams' questions. Though it's easy to think that you would die if you answered our Blue team's questions, congratulations to you guys!


LazyBones

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Down Back to Top