RSS Feed

  • Twitter
  • Digg
  • Stumble

Saturday, January 10, 2009

For Nostalgia's Sake

The first week of school has officially ended (only applicable to me). It was actually quite fun, not to mention confusing.

On Monday, I arrived at 7.10 and started looking for long lost people. The canteen was packed like mad and if I could describe it, it would be the tin can and we pupils would be the preserved food in it. I saw Sabreena's gang first and was quite shocked to find that Iman quit being a prefect. Aarrghh....it's so uncomfortable acting like a normal student now.....After adopting Brownian Movement for a while, I found my fellow Batai-ans Chingx and Melissa. After savouring the lost feeling for a while, we students were herded like sheep to the pavilion. There, we were given a thousand speeches as usual. We were quite noisy at first and Pn Mary-Anne said she hoped that we had not lost our sense our hearing. Cassandra quickly shot back a sarcastic "Whaat??". Luckily everyone had a delayed reaction otherwise Cas would have been heard and punished. The poor prefects lined the perimeter of the pavilion and wore their oven-hot blazers. It puzzles me why none of them turned into a roasted chicken. The Datin again gave a long-winded speech to "welcome" us back to school. Anyone could see that the effect was reversed among the students. Her speech never loses its magic to put everyone within the vicinity to sleep. After what seemed like an eternity, we were brought to our classes.

3 Batai was quite lost. We thought the classroom we would be using is the 2 Angsana classroom. Instead, we found ourselves occupying a classroom previously utilized by the lower classes. Many Batai-ans sulked at this and saw it as an "insult". Normally, it is the 3 Batai-ans who get the privilege to use the Angsana classroom. Right now, it was the 3 Angsana that got it. More than half the class used the same classroom since last year. Our classroom sits right on top of the girl's toilet. I hope the rising stench doesn't disrupt our class studies.

Sha Lynn volunteered herself to be the class monitor. For the assistant, the class nominated Louis Chong. I'm not very sure who they were trying to make fun of because both Sha and Louis were resentful with that decision. Nevertheless, Louis accepted the post. In the first place, I don't think he's even qualified for that job. Put anything in his possession and after 3 days, you'd be shocked to find it crumpled, messed up, filthy or destroyed. Nobody would be surprised even if pet cockroaches were found with him. I became a class committee member.

School classes were as usual. Our Civics teacher has gotten on our nerves. She treats the subject like a matter of life and death. Somehow, our History teacher is great...at least better than last year's. She has a great sense of humour and can at least tell us about more interesting facts not in our textbooks. English turned out alright too. We got Madam Tan for Maths. There are so many "Mrs Tan"s in my school that she prefers to be addressed as Madam Tan.

On Thursday, I became the class treasurer (after Joshua and Yi Jing). There was quite an amount of missing money. The last 6 ringgit was divided among the 3 of us on Friday. After chasing everyone around like a wild nut, finally, the class finished paying up to the treasurer. (Hooray!!).

I'm planning on joining Nostalgia again this year. And I'm supposed to come up with an essay as to why I should be chosen to join the editorial board. Well, here goes nothing...

I plan to involve myself in the English department in the Nostalgia editorial board so that I can contribute to the better of society (Oh dear, I sound like a British!). Let me paraphrase that. I wish to express my urgent need to be involved in the making of the school's magazine otherwise I would experience a total nervous breakdown and....and....Hold on a minute. I'm losing myself here. Give me a moment to redeem my conscious self.

*Concentrates all thoughts on McDonald's Fillet-O-Fish*.

Ah, much better! Hey, don't dispose my resume!!! I haven't even started elucidating why I want to join the editorial board yet! Don't take away my chance, thank you very much. This would be very short and sweet.

Oh merciful being, have you heard of those famous people all around the world like John Ronald Reuel Tolkien (more commonly known as J.R.R Tolkien)? He is none other than the author of "Lord of the Rings". His books have made him renowned as the "father" of modern fantasy literature. His books are interconnected and they all share the same bigger picture. His command of English is so powerful and descriptions so vivid that we tend to even get lost in our imagination when reading his books. To achieve that supremacy in the English language is just what I'm asking for.

But that isn't just it. A good command of English alone isn't enough to want to make someone superglue his eyes to a book's pages. In most cases, people fall asleep after attempting half a page of a heavy book (excuse the pun). I don't blame them either. With the amount of time kids spend on the computer, dubbed by some to be the "Idiot Box Number 2", they definitely do not have the time to challenge themselves with deeper reading material. To them, a book, is, after all, just a book. Chick lit would be much more appealing to them.

And that's where the element of humour jumps in to create a big splash!! Come on now, let's not be defiant on this matter. Humour is the one element that manages to cross the age barrier, as well as the psychological mind. We all are bombarded day in, day out, with endless strings of depressing stories and stressful work. What could be more refreshing than a page full of nonsensical humour? It could be dry humour, satire, slapstick, pun, scintillating or just plain silly.

Having said that, I think I could help inject a little jocoseness and laughter into the hearts of DJ's pupils. They have been getting stressed out time and again. Come on, through all these years, the ludicrous Mr Bean have already perfected the art of jumping into the car semi-buttoned, semi-zipped and zooming down the town at Grand Prix speed with a toothbrush in his mouth to catch a dentist appointment . It wouldn't do any harm if antics like these were recorded for posterity's sake, would it? Laughter is the best medicine. That is, unless you don't laugh the whole day through for no apparent reason.

And come to think of it. What better place to start harnessing the gift of farcicality than in the young schooling days?

Yes, this is stupid. Forgive the immature content in this post.

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Down Back to Top