RSS Feed

  • Twitter
  • Digg
  • Stumble

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Rubbishlah!!

CHINESE NEW YEAR'S EVE!!!!!!!!!







........and I'm down with a cold.

Yes, yes. Very ironic. I should be better within 12 hours at the rate I'm going : Drinking glass after glass of hot water to soothe my irritated throat. I MUST get better otherwise I won't be able to enjoy all the glorious food only found during the festive season.

After a tedious 6-hour drive (courtesy of stupid road accidents and toll plazas), we have reached the number 2 tourism spot in the world. Truth is, I have no idea as to how Penang island got to be that famous. Maybe the government was just duping us so that we could stimulate local economy growth.

When we did reach Penang, I kept hoping for that notebook to appear out of thin air. I needed it for school projects (Home Science and that stupid stuff). Just when I thought I could use my uncle's computer, I found that the genie made it vanish. My uncle was the genie. Seems like he had shifted the computer over to his own apartment. Darn. Now I need the notebook more than ever!!!

Since there is no computer within access, you must be wondering how I got to create this post. This magic trick was done by pestering my aunt to let me use her Macbook (I refuse to elaborate). Sadly, there isn't MSN on it and I wouldn't want to download it on someone else's computer.

Now, my throat feels better. Hopefully I can start eating cookies again.

Meanwhile, let me introduce you to the local English language. We call this language "Manglish", a monicker for Mangled English. It's basically just English with a mixture of other languages thrown into it. Now, now, it's not really long-winded and can be quite time-saving. It's actually shorter (and more convenient) than actual English. Here are some great examples:

English : Hi Joe! Haven’t seen you for a long time. How are you?
Manglish : Hi Joe! Long time no see, so how?

English : Would you turn off the fan, please? – Yes, of course.
Manglish : Can off the fan ah? –Can!

English : I think I’m going to be in deep trouble.
Manglish : Die!

English : The fish tastes really great!
Manglish : Best lah the fish!

English : Would you please reverse your car?
Manglish : Gostan! (Pronounced as "go-stun")

English : It’s not necessary for you to trouble youself. I can make it on my own.
Manglish : No need! I can lah.

English : I have not paid my fee.
Manglish : Notchet pay fee.

English : I have to know, are you coming to the the party?
Manglish : Come anot?

English : A while ago.....
Manglish : Just now.....

English : Buy one get one free!
Manglish : Buy one free one!

English : For goodness sake, can you stop disturbing me??
Manglish : Aiyo, don't disturb-lah!

It sounds really ‘fake’ for Malaysians to speak proper English. Many Manglish speakers worry that if they talk properly, their friends will think that they are putting on airs. ‘Why you tok liedat ah? You ting you are a matsalleh, is it?' ('Why are you talking like that? Do you think you're an Englishman?’). There are many people in Malaysia who have an extremely limited grasp of English. If you use bombastic words and phrases (like ‘bombastic’), they will not understand. So to be understood, you need to speak Manglish. *Thumbs up and big grin*.

In America, people speak American English. In Australia, people speak Australian English. What’s wrong with Malaysians speaking Malaysian English? After all, every country has its own slang and accent. For example, Americans say cellphone, Brits say mobile phone and Malaysians say handphone. What’s wrong with that?

Manglish has become part of Malaysian culture and heritage
Manglish has become something we can be proud of. Why try to hide it? It’s part of our cultural heritage. And it’s something that all Malaysians can participate in, no matter which ethnicity. Plus, tourists think it’s cute when they hear people saying lah all the time.

So, Malaysians-ah, let's be proud of ourselves and start promoting Manglish-lah!!!

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Down Back to Top