RSS Feed

  • Twitter
  • Digg
  • Stumble

Friday, November 14, 2008

On The Edge

Shortlisted. Again. This time as some top 200+ people (MPYO). The audition was held today and I just realised I was the first to be auditioned today at 10.00 am. I initially thought it would be in the afternoon since I was constantly bombarded with answers saying that it was 2 o'clock. I think my mum thought I kept asking about the composition audition.

Anyway, I woke up around 7 to make my way there. Yes, it's really early, but I expected them to start the auditions early. After all, being early means being able to warm up early, right? Wrong. I reached there around 9 and tried to start warming up. Unfortunately, the security guards there prohibited us to do so. There were 2 other boys waiting anxiously. Suddenly, this Englishman came up and one of the boys and his father quickly left for some special warm up. That left me to realise that I was the first person up.

About 9.25, an Indian man (or a mix) brought both of us to a "special room" to warm up. Indeed, it lived up to the name "special". We had to enter some "secret passageway" to get to the room. It was like some funny backstage corridor, except that it sounded as if we were in the car park and the ceiling LOOKED like those of a car park's. Somewhat, it reminded me of a factory. In the lift on the way down to the passage, I found out that the boy arrived much earlier, around 8.50 or 8.15 (couldn't really catch the words).

We got to the room in no time. It looked like a store room (to me). When we got in, both of us started warming up like mad. I had to borrow his tuner because mine was dead. I found out that he didn't go for exams. But he was quite good. After a little slow practice, I had a choice. Either I get some quick experience out of him or continue practicing to reduce risks of errors. I was shaking, (rather), at the thought that I'd be going first. Afraid of unwanted squeaks and pitching error. But then, the worst excerpt of all, the West Side one.....I seemed pretty undaunted by that excerpt. I have to admit I actually like it best since it's so upbeat, but the triple-stops were just too much. The scary thing was I didn't bother practicing that.

After that little practice time of mine, it was finally it. I went inside the (gigantic factory-like) room and wished Mr Kevin Field (conductor) a good morning. I passed him my scores and started on Schumann's piece. It was alright (in my opinion). Unless I was dreaming while playing. Czardas was okay too.....except that he said I could improve on the tempo a bit. he stopped me halfway through due to lack of time (no doubt, Schumann took up more than 6 minutes). But he added on saying he didn't mind the slight slowing down as long as the divisions (semi-quavers) were even. Well....he SAID they were even, so I'd just hope for the best.

Then I played the excerpts. I was given another chance to play the Brahm's because he thought I could do with more bow and leave the last note as long and smooth. That was a rather close call since I screwed one note during the first try. Great thing I didn't stop though. I started off the Mozart after that and he stopped me in the second bar, getting straight with me on the tempo he wants. Then he pointed out that he didn't want my bow to be light and not "sticky" for this song (the other songs had to be sticky and smooth). So I played the excerpt up to the required point. No slips for this song though I think my speed slowed down halfway.

And I wasn't asked to play West Side or be interviewed!! YAY. (Wait....maybe that's bad?)


And that was it.
On my way back to Level 2, I found out some more exact facts on numbers. 38 people are auditioned each day in one centre. 38 were auditioned on Thursday (yesterday). Many many people applied but only 200 in the whole country was shortlisted, including the East Side (haha..West and East) of the country. The orchestra needs about 105 members. That's about half the people auditioned. Ouch. Out of how many of them are violinists?? A lot. So, I'm probably going to take up some other instrument for an easier entry into the orchestra. Haha.

RM2000 shoes!?!

After loitering in KLCC for a while, we went back to the MPO premise. There, we bump into the boy who went after me. Apparently, Mr Field complimented him on his style. He had a few rhythm errors but that was it. Then, we departed and had to look for a taxi back to my aunt's house. All the taxi drivers thought we were tourists (and my violin case as the luggage bag). Troublesome. Finally, a nice taxi driver took us in with a reasonable price. And throughout the whole journey, my mother and the man were talking about politics (he was of the same kin and thought).

In school, everyone noticed my straightened hair. The main reason I went to school was to get my exam marks. And they weren't very encouraging. Stupid marks. Especially Geography. The damned paper made me get my first B in, like, 3 years!!! And that anchored my percentage to a !@#$&^$!@# 87.89%. Now the freaking top 3 positions would be booked and I'll have to settle with a 4th. Well, 2 + 2 = 4. But really, 1+1 does NOT equal to 1. Imbeciles of the country. (I don't mean the top 3 of Batai)

Lucky it's a 4TH. Wan Jyn dropped. Emily who had extremely high marks surprisingly only settled around 20...or roughly there....higher, I think. AND ENGLISH WAS MY LIFESAVER!!!! I couldn't believe it!! Because Geo pulled me down, Ishwin and I shared the same amount of marks overall, with Jhia Yim a mark behind us, excluding English, which was the last subject we got back. So, I was just placing all my bets on English. Indeed, I wasn't disappointed and got back the freaking marks I expected. Well, okay, not marks I expected, but rather the advantage of the subject. It's where I get bonus marks to beat people. =P

That was great!!

I just cannot settle with 81 for BM. Or how about 81 for Art (well...this was expected since THAT murderer killed my art). 88 for Science, anyone? (I miss Pn Lam!!!! My science teacher now is a wooden marker!!!).It's my favourtie subject if not for my wooden marker, for heaven's sake!!!! Or maybe 99 for MATHS?!?!??!?!?! Or how about this: 78 for Geography, a subject I enjoy the most after Science, Maths and English!!!!! Fake finals. Really.

BM=81
Eng=90
Maths=99
Sci=88
Geo=Blast your head off
History=94
Moral=89
Art=81
KH=91

Majority: 80++
Opinions: Suckish marks, so get lost (pardon the rough language)

Great. So now, I officially lose my job as a prefect due to horrendous reasons. I can't believe they take prefects who goes for assemblies and meetings to be those of leadership quality! So, I could have easily stayed back at home and miss my assemblies and maybe I'd be pardoned for missing them? That's just dumb. It's not like I'm a statue and don't tell students off for their wrongdoings. Gadhfjfkjaidfaosdjf. Resort to reapplying.
SHE doesn't even DO HER JOB!!!!!!


I can't believe I'm on the brink of losing everything I've got.

0 Comment(s):

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Down Back to Top